Thursday, July 30, 2009

Going Under the Radar

So now that the Lakers have inked Lamar Odom for a couple more years, that means two things to me personally.

Numero uno: Lamar Odom is NOT on the Heat. I believe that Dwayne Wade will leave the Heat next season since the Heat will not be contenders (Get real, that's a three team conference). But had Odom signed, someone Wade considers family, it would have been more likely for him to stay next season. Do you think he would convince Odom to come to Miami just so he, himself, can leave a season later? Absolutely not. He probably would've signed a two-year extension so they can live out the Odom-Wade project. Which wouldn't have worked anyway. I'm not a hater, just a realist.

Number two: I have my pick for 2009-2010 champions and Aviv will certainly like it. Now that Odom resigned with LA, they appear to be on a completely different level and it upsets me. Sure, the Lakers were good last season. But let's put that season into perspective.

They murdered the Jazz. Okay, fair enough.

They went 7 games with the McGrady-less, Yao-less Rockets including several blowouts. Really?

Then they played Denver and won in 6. Several of those games, aside from the Game 6, could've gone either way pretty much.

Then they beat Orlando in the Finals? Yippee.

They replaced a youthful premier three point gunner/premier defensive specialist in Trevor Ariza with a troublemaking, skill-declining, and certainly deranged lunatic in Ron Artest. Win? Hell no.

So who do I choose to win the 2010 NBA Title?

The San Antonio Spurs.

They have perhaps the best eight-man rotation in the NBA with Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, Mcdyess, Hill, Mason, and Blair. Really? All they did was turn Udoka into RJ and transfrom Oberto into ring-hungry Antonio McNice. Then Pittsburgh beast Dejuan Bliar just dropped into their laps? How is this fair!? They have a hall of fame coach still in Gregg Poppovich and perhaps the best power forward of all time in Timothy Theodore Duncan. All they need is their health!

What else happened?

The Nuggets, who were amazing last season, replaced Dahntay Jones with Arron Afflalo. Downgrade? Not really. But cheap, yes. And I like Afflalo! He acknowledged me and Lucas at the 2007 draft with a head nod after he showed up in the middle of the first round. So much love Arron.

So before you write off the Lakers as the best team in the league blah blah blah just look around the league for a second. I didn't even mention the Cavs, Celts, and Magic. Maybe this will be good for those teams. Lakers will crack under pressure. I gurantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment